Trying to get off the blue stuff...varying use of color

I was beginning to suspect that blue was becoming my go-to color in all of my work-- I tend to use a lot of color complements, so if I pick up the blue, that attaches me to orange. It's just that it seems that blue is everywhere I look-- black, gray, even white often looks blue to me. I should have seen this coming; as a child, I colored all of the models' teeth in my mom's magazines blue, because I thought blue teeth looked prettier.

I knew there was a problem when I glanced through my Red Bubble favorites a few days ago, and noticed I had selected almost exclusively blue-based pictures. I had also completed a monochromatic painting ("Blue 'Tude") and even joined a Red Bubble group for works strictly done in blue.

In the original book The Wizard of Oz, the Emerald City looked green to its inhabitants because everyone had to wear green-tinted glasses. I don't want my choices to to be limited as though I am wearing my own version of tinted glasses. So, I'm forcing myself out of my comfort zone and cutting back on the blue for a while. It's rocky territory; on the one hand, I enjoy identifying which artists have completed freshly posted work because I recognize their typical color choices. I want my work to be recognizable like that too. On the other hand, I don't want to trap myself in the Emerald City (or in my case, The Sapphire City), so I'll be monitoring my uses of color to see if I can get that consistent look without sacrificing the element of surprise.

So, freshly on the wagon for people addicted to blue, here's a new piece:

Sunset at Morro Rock
9 x 12 Chalk pastel and water on paper
Click here to purchase
Click here to see more California-inspired art on my website!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!