Using Parchment Paper for Pastel

Pastel is so versatile, I like to use it on a variety of surfaces.  One of my favorites is old parchment paper (courtesy of my late grandmother, who enjoyed calligraphy and creating her own Christmas cards).  I saved the paper partly out of a sense of nostalgia-- I still have some of Grandma's handmade cards on similar paper.  I also saved it so I could try the pastels on it, and it's become one of my favorite surfaces when I want to achieve a "scratchy" look to my pastels or focus on heavier drawn lines.

If you're looking to try soft pastels on this type of paper, I have a few tips based on my experiences with pastel and parchment paper.
"Spring Field" 3.25 x 5.25 inch pastel on parchment paper
Click here to view more details

Tip #1: Smear with caution!  Whereas pastel paper is made to hold lots of layers of pastel, parchment paper is not.  I usually stick with a lot of broken color and smear carefully with a paper towel over my finger (basically a homemade tortillon, or blending stump).  The pastel bleeds into the parchment paper, so plan your marks carefully before applying and keep your smearing to a minimum.





"Purple Mug"
View on Etsy
"Ready to Pounce"
View on Etsy






Tip #2: Take care with your background.  

If you're leaving the background free of color, take extra care with pastel dust and stray marks, as it's much more difficult to blend or erase whatever ends up on your paper.  That said, the parchment paper does hold up fairly well when you have to use an eraser.  Just do so gently!

"Little Teapot"
View on Etsy
Tip #3:  Use bold color and strokes.

The parchment paper tends to eat up the color of the pastels, so stick with bright colors if you want to avoid a "muddy" look to your work.  Using bold lines and pastel strokes will also give your piece more contrast (as opposed to toned pastel paper, which naturally contrasts with even the softest touch of the pastels). 


Work in Progress Photo "Wild Inside"
Finished piece sold
Lastly, choose a subject you connect with emotionally!  I find that the tone and texture of the parchment paper sets the mood of the piece and gives it a nostalgic feel before I even start sketching.  Whether it's an everyday object you enjoy, or a portrait of a person or pet you adore, or a place you love to visit, let the paper become part of the story.  I may be speaking from personal preference here, since the parchment paper I use already has an emotional connection for me.  

If you enjoyed this post, stop by my website and sign up for my newsletter!  You'll get one in your email every couple of months or so, and your information will never be shared.

If you'd like to learn new ways to use pastels from the comfort of your home, stop by my latest Skillshare class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!

Painting Cats

Cactus: Not Just a Desert Staple