Clearing the Palette

"Vessels" 5 x 9.5in Chalk Pastel on Paper
Click here to buy print:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/nikihilsabeck/art/7303654-vessels-pastel



Sometimes you have to start fresh...




I printed out a bunch of new pictures, but I wasn't in the mood to paint them. It had been several days since I started a new painting, and I was trying to figure out why. Looking around my work space, I decided that my problem came from all of the already completed work sitting around me.




I have a little ritual I complete at the end of every month: I take all of the work I completed in that time period, and carefully pack it away. This is my way of saying goodbye to it, knowing it will be safe and waiting for the time when I need it again, either for a show or a sale. Sifting through my work and organizing it this way gives me time to reflect on it, but also allows me to move on to new things. I hadn't gotten much done in April, and by the end of May, all of that work had piled up and was blocking me from starting something new.




I finally went through all of my April and May pieces, and cleared my workspace. Once that was done, I felt free to take out paper and start a new piece. I still wasn't terribly motivated, so to clear my mind I decided to go back to basics and focus on shape, value, and minimal color in the above piece. It was soothing to stick to a simple composition with simple subjects, and put me back in the frame of mind to paint again. So, not only do I need my morning ritual of coffee, I need my monthly ritual of packing away my work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Parchment Paper for Pastel

When Old Tricks Become New Tricks

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)