10 Reasons to Love Pastel: Color!

"Beach Stroll"
9 x 12 Pastel on Paper
Click here to view details
It's a little easy to get drunk on color when using pastels.  When I first took pastel classes, it was difficult for me to stick to values when beginning a painting-- I always jumped into the bright colors (and quickly ended up in trouble).  Even now, if I'm having difficulty getting into painting mode, I can just open a box of brightly colored pastels and feel instantly inspired.


"Mermaid" 9 x 12 Pastel on Paper
Click here to view details
 
Pastels come in a wide array of bright colors, and you don't have to do any mixing (although you can blend the colors if you wish).  Pastels hold their strong colors without fading for a long time, and there's no need to worry about cracking or drying out over time as there is with oil or acrylic.

For me, the color sets the mood for a painting.  I know I can always use my trusty pastels to convey whatever mood I'm expressing with a small combination of brilliant colors.

Do you like beach-themed artwork?
Check out my Nautical and Beach gallery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

Painting Cats

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!