Bloom Where You Are


"Bloom Where You Are"
5.5 x 3.5 in. pastel on paper
Click here to view on Etsy
It's been a long time since I've posted-- over a year!  And what a year it was-- 

Like many people, I had more time at home than ever this last year.  The extra time, however, did not translate into productivity.  I did learn to make my own bread, and am now the proud feeder and caregiver to my very own sourdough starter.  

I wish I could say that I got better at something I'd wanted to have time at home to do-- gardening?  Finishing more paintings?  Writing?  Of course, I know from experience that being home more doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of things that end up needing attention--cleaning up after pets, kids, homeschooling, cooking more.  

Instead of being productive, I found myself spending additional time reading.  I was also able to do some commission work, which gave me the opportunity to be creative (and carried the bonus of built-in deadlines, which always helps me finish projects).

Speaking of deadlines, perhaps it was the lack of those that made this last year feel so...sluggish.  The art year has its seasons for many of us-- especially here in Southern California!  There are traditional dates for shows, festivals, and classes for those of us who teach or take them.  All of these events have deadlines, which many of us need to keep motivated.  When I taught in the public schools, I remember how important it was to give my students deadlines for projects-- rather than pressuring them, the deadlines kept most of them motivated and on track.  

As spring approaches, I sense renewal in the surrounding sights and sounds: the plants are beginning to sprout and bloom; the birds have begun working on nests.  Even though there aren't the traditional things to look forward to right now, I realized that I need to take advantage of the opportunity to use that renewal of creativity I feel each spring.  Instead of waiting for circumstances to change, I need to "bloom where I am," so to speak.  Having adjusted to the lack of deadlines and the uncertainty of the coming year, I need to pick up where I am now and practice regularly painting and posting artwork. 

Here are a few of the recent pieces I managed to complete-- thanks to some new Rembrandt pastels, and a bit of splurging on Canson Mi-Teintes paper in the last few months:

"Beachy Mood"
Miniature pastel available on Etsy
"Chrysanthemum"
Miniature pastel available on Etsy


"Rejoice"
Miniature pastel available on Etsy

 

"Fountain Flowers"
Original available on Saatchi Art
How about you?  Are there ways you can "bloom where you are?" 

Visit my website to see more artwork and blog posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!