A Walk in the Garden (Painting Nature)

Now that I've gotten a little better handle on gardening (or at least not killing my plants), I find myself doing "plant checks" throughout the day.  I check first to see what's been munched on by the gophers, squirrels, bunnies, hornworms, or whatever else helps itself to my plants.  I also check to see what needs to be deadheaded, what's sprouted, and what needs water.  Sometimes I just like to pull up a gardening mat to sit on and observe the plants.  This is especially fun when new things are sprouting-- if we're not in the middle of a heatwave or a cold snap (rare here in Fallbrook), I usually have new seeds going somewhere.

This morning was wet and foggy, so I also got to go out early and look for unique spiderwebs.  I haven't tried painting one yet, but having grown up a fan of Charlotte's Web, I take pictures of the more intricate ones.  The kids and I also do a "wellness check" on our current crop of entertaining bugs and reptiles, which include a couple of large lizards, a newly-hatched grasshopper, and a fierce little praying mantis patrolling a fruit tree I have yet to plant.
"Mist-ical" Pastel on Parchment Paper
Of course, I also take pictures of flowers to paint.  Yesterday I spotted a bright blue-purple flower in the midst of all the yellow flowers currently in bloom, and looked closer to see that it was love-in-a-mist.  I thought they were gone for the summer, so I was delighted to see it and decided I would make a little painting of it (above).

"Serene" Pastel on Parchment Paper
In addition to the plant checks, I also check the bird feeders-- which usually get raided by a family of squirrels by late-morning.  We had orioles nesting in our palm tree when summer began, so I got a few pictures of them to paint as well. 

I don't let it grow anymore, but for many years we had wild cucumber that would take over one of our big oak trees, which led to this painting:

"Afternoon Light" Pastel on Paper
I've always enjoyed painting flowers, but have only grown my own flowers for the last few years or so.  Before that, I often took pictures of flowers in the gardens of family and friends, at local theme parks and zoos, and even at medical centers while waiting for appointments.  I still find myself taking pictures at these places when I see unique arrangements of plants and flowers.  I especially can't resist plants in water!  

How does nature inspire you to create?  Do you find inspiration in the garden?

I'll be teaching a class on water-brushed pastels at Fallbrook Library this week (registration is required).  One subject we definitely won't be painting this time: squirrels!  

Browse my "Gardens and Fields" gallery to see more garden-inspired artworks!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!