Cactus: Not Just a Desert Staple

Cactus seems to be everywhere in Southern California!  It can be a nuisance or a blessing, depending on how you look at it.
"Prickly Paradise" 5.5 x 5.75 pastel on drawing paper
Click here to view on my website
I have to be in a particular mood to draw or paint cactus-- it's got a lot of funny shapes and details.  I see so much cactus every day I don't always think to paint it.  Having lived with a large patch of cactus near my house for many years now, I realized that although I may not take the time to paint it often, it really is an amazing plant. 

 I've written about painting cactus previously, and the challenges I had this time were still the same.  I've come to appreciate cactus more, though-- if I take the time to walk over and really look at it, there's always something interesting to watch.

It's provided a home for many squirrel babies, who are pretty adorable in their own mischievous way. (Their parents are entertaining too, but I have a bit of a garden now, so I like them better from a distance.)  It's also a favorite hangout for the mockingbirds, finches, and roadrunners.  It took a big hit in the 2007 fires, but came back.  The bright yellow flowers are beautiful and draw hummingbirds.  Although there are times when it's not at its prettiest, it's always got fresh growth.  It's comforting to know that it's edible-- I've bought de-spined cactus at the store to cook, but have always been nervous about getting the spines off myself  so haven't tasted any of ours (same for the fruits, which do look tasty!)  

When I paint something I see regularly, it's tempting to think of it as merely an exercise in color, shape, and value.  I do tend to paint things close to home and dear to my heart though, and cactus is one of those that provides not only an enjoyably challenging subject to paint, but also something familiar I can see and appreciate every day.

Speaking of painting familiar subjects, would like you like to learn different ways to paint with pastel?  In my latest Skillshare online class, you can try a beach bird (or your own familiar subject) with several different pastel methods: dry, water-brushed, and on mixed media such as acrylic or collage.  Stop by and check it out (along with more pastel classes) on my Skillshare channel.

Here are a few more backyard regulars here in Fallbrook:

"Finch"
"Dove 2"
L'Orange (Prints Only)
"Herbst" (Prints Only)
"Dove 1"



Stop by my website to see more nature-themed artworks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!