Input vs. Output

We live in an age where we can spend our entire day receiving input from others, even without leaving the house or talking to anyone.  We can read messages, articles, scroll through profiles and updates, or even turn on that old dinosaur known as the t.v. 

For me, there's also reading novels-- something I thoroughly enjoy but feel a little guilty indulging in when there are so many other things I should be doing.  Add to that the time I spend listening to the birds outside, or gazing at the ocean, or drinking in the afternoon light on the oak trees, and there's very little energy left for output-- which in my case is painting or writing new things. 
"Ready to Pounce" on Daily Paintworks
And then there are the cats.  They're very distracting, but they do provide me with a bit of creative inspiration.

On a side note, I feel this way about learning a foreign language.  In the year I spent in Germany, I probably spent the first six months mostly listening -- which was exasperating to the family hosting me and my new friends.  After those first six months though, something clicked, and all of that input spilled over into output, and suddenly I was happy to chat with anyone and everyone in German.  Now that I'm out of practice, I can still understand a fair amount, but I struggle to come up with words and sentences.  I'm back to the input stage, and I'm sorely lacking in input as far as the German language goes (my own fault!)

This leads me to artistic input and output.  I can spend hours looking at other people's art on Pinterest, without feeling enough of a spark to create my own painting.  Touching a textured oil painting by my grandmother, though, invites me to create my own work.  Seeing an exhibit at the library or catching a whiff of acrylic as I open a tube will also remind me of the joy I feel when I do sit down and paint.  Reading an article doesn't necessarily inspire me to write (quite the opposite, in fact), but reading a well-crafted paragraph in a classic novel awakens that desire to write something of my own.

So, I think if I adjust my input, I'll improve my output.  Sitting around listening to English all day certainly doesn't inspire me to speak German, so why would passive, non-art activities inspire me to paint?  The truth is that it's time to set time limits on those non-artistic sources of input where I can, and make room for the activities that will tip the scales from input over to output.  Obviously, the dishes need to be done, but I can put on classical music instead of the news while I do them.  I can spend time in the garden, as long as I'm opening my eyes to light, shapes and color (rather than just weeds). 

If you're feeling overwhelmed by input, take a look at what you're absorbing during the day.  Try swapping passive art input for active, sensory art input.  I know I'm going to-- and I'll be swapping out some of that English reading for my old college German literature so I can improve my output in that arena as well.



If you're looking for a little creative input this spring, try my new pastels class on Skillshare!  You can paint an ocean pastel along with me in the comfort of your own home, at your own pace.  Click here to check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!

Painting Cats

Cactus: Not Just a Desert Staple