Slow and Steady

"How 'bout a Hug"
9 x 12 Chalk pastel on paper
Click here to purchase
Caught these two turtles in a cute moment at the duck pond in Temecula...

Not feeling well really puts a damper on the creative process!  I painted this piece mostly in one session, then had a rough few days where I didn't feel well enough to finish it up.  It's easy to start panicking when periods of time like that set in, but I've learned a trick as I've gotten older and more patient: even baby steps will eventually get you where you need to go.

If I felt good enough to sit up and work, I added a little touch here and there to get the piece done: a bit of shading on the shell, more depth in the water, or light smears on the rock.  Having been used to completing five or more paintings a week, finishing just one doesn't sound like much.  It's better than not painting at all, or trying to push out a lot of paintings that end up in the failure pile.  I try to remember that as long as I'm getting something accomplished, I'm on the right track. 

So, if you're having trouble finishing a painting, try to take little steps as you get time and energy.  Eventually, you'll end up with a finished piece!  This method also works for household chores, by the way.

Stop by my new website and check out my summer shipping special!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!