Along the Water

"Along the Water" 9 x 12 Chalk Pastel on Paper

Haven't touched the pastels lately, but I bought a new set since I was running out of colors and have been yearning to put them to paper. 

A few years ago, I took some great photos at Irvine Park.  I'd been to the park a few years in a row without even knowing there was quite a bit of water there, rife with paddle boats for the amusement of park visitors.  I snapped this scene from the train, knowing one day it would give me a great little painting exercise.

Something about the park reminds me of the images from the old Impressionist works, with families enjoying picnics or lounging on the water for the afternoon.  I didn't see any ladies in nice dresses with parasols, but the atmosphere is quite similar-- a nice place to relax on a summer afternoon.

The painting didn't take long, as it was more of a spontaneous play session.  I've been working with acrylics on canvas, so I took a little break to enjoy the sensation of scrubbing dry chalk on paper for a while. 

I did manage to get a piece into the San Diego County Fair again this year:
"Indoor Garden" 9 x 12 Mixed Media on Paper
Original on display through 7/4/12
Click here to purchase original

I still haven't decided if I'm physically up for any plein air contests this year, but will definitely head down to the fair to check out the fine art exhibit (it's a big one-- over 700 pieces I think!)  I'm always happy if I get anything in to this show, as it's juried and they only accept about half of what is submitted for the exhibit.


Click here to see my California Dreamin' collection of prints on Redbubble:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/nikihilsabeck/collections/15817-california-dreamin








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!

Painting Cats

Cactus: Not Just a Desert Staple