Use Sparingly...

One of the advantages of uploading artwork on a regular basis is the opportunity to evaluate the way it looks downsized into an image on a screen. When I first took a picture of my "Turtles," I noticed that the black was overpowering the other colors. Normally, I am careful using black in representational pieces. Unfortunately, I got carried away with shadowing the rocks, and the result was this:






I didn't see a problem with it, until I was getting ready to post it. So, today I took another shot at it, adding more neutral and trying to keep the emphasis on the turtles and center rock. I ended up with this:

Turtles (15 x 20 Mixed Media on Paper)

ORIGINAL SOLD

I can't decide which one works better, but I think the turtles and leaf are better emphasized in the second version-- which was the point of subduing the black with more neutral. Anyway, I've gotten a big reminder about being careful with that black pastel. It's a little easier to see the fish in the second picture, now that the picture isn't overwhelmed by all the black.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painting Cats

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)

A Hot Mess of Water Lilies!