10 Reasons to Love Pastel: Color!

"Beach Stroll"
9 x 12 Pastel on Paper
Click here to view details
It's a little easy to get drunk on color when using pastels.  When I first took pastel classes, it was difficult for me to stick to values when beginning a painting-- I always jumped into the bright colors (and quickly ended up in trouble).  Even now, if I'm having difficulty getting into painting mode, I can just open a box of brightly colored pastels and feel instantly inspired.


"Mermaid" 9 x 12 Pastel on Paper
Click here to view details
 
Pastels come in a wide array of bright colors, and you don't have to do any mixing (although you can blend the colors if you wish).  Pastels hold their strong colors without fading for a long time, and there's no need to worry about cracking or drying out over time as there is with oil or acrylic.

For me, the color sets the mood for a painting.  I know I can always use my trusty pastels to convey whatever mood I'm expressing with a small combination of brilliant colors.

Do you like beach-themed artwork?
Check out my Nautical and Beach gallery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Parchment Paper for Pastel

When Old Tricks Become New Tricks

Inspired by Light (Pastels on Canvas)